Friday, August 13, 2010

New Comp! And New Area! (July 19, 2010 Email)

This morning we(missionaries in my zone) all watched this movie called "The District 2". The movie is something the church did to help train missionaries better. It is basically real life missionaires and their experiences. It was so awesome!!! They taught real people and shared their stories. It was amazing to see how the people progressed and then got to baptism. It gave me a lot of encouragement and excitement to do the work. Right now we have some really awesome people progressing towards baptism and we are totally looking forward to having a baptism soon. My companion-Hermana Taff(I will talk more about her later, dont worry) has never had a baptism in the year that she has been on her mission and she feels bad about it. I am determined to change that here! It was just really nice to watch the movie and feel the spirit. SO many of the stories and testimonies shared I feel like were close to my heart and could be compared to me(example:one sister missionary's brother had died while on her mission). So often as missionaries we are giving out the spirrit so much that sometimes it is nice to be the one to sit back and feel it. Not the one giving it out. The Lord just gave me a tender mercy this morning and gave me the opportunity to see how I can improve and change.

OKOK.....I am now serving in Houston. It isn't the main downtown city but it is right next to it. The area is flooded with Hispanics. I see one white person for every 50 Hispanics. I AM in little mexico. HAHA!!! Everyone I talk to is Hispanic which is nice cause that means we have tons of people to teach. I like the area so far. It is all apartment complexes = consusion to find my way around. LOL! They are all different and have weird gates and stuff to get around. Let alone hte parking-to find a visitors spot that is open so we dont get towed. ALSO-yes I do have a car but still have my bike of course. Our area is small enugh that we can do it on bike. And cause I love my bike so much I have convinced my comp to use it about 4 times a week!( yes I know I sound like a crazy person.....I my bike. :)

My new companion is.....Jennifer Taff. She is from Longview, Washington. She is super cute and hilarious! She went to BYU Idaho before the mission and is a art ed major. I was sad cause I felt like I wouldnt get another cool comp cause I LOVED my last one. BUT she is tight. If I could have picked anyone to serve with(out of my choices) she was the one I wanted. LOL!! THANK YOU HEAVENLY FATHER!!! HAHA!! I really am lucking out.

We got 2 baptismal dates on Friday! YEAH!! Raul has aleady been to church 3 times and has a date for August 1st. I really think he will be ready but he wants a for sure answer from Heavenly Father. He loves reading the Book of Mormon so if he continues to do that and pray with real intent I know he will be ready. We are teaching Word of Wisdom tomorrow---pray that it goes well.

Our other date is a woman named Flor. We OYMed her(talked to her on the street) and taught her the 1st lesson(Restoration) and I extened a baptismal date for Aug 15th and she said "of course....what do I need to do to prepare for my baptism?" Then she referrred back to her baptism like 5 other times in the lesson.....like "when I get baptized"....realize that we had just meet this woman 10 minutes before and now all the sudden she was getting baptized. Missionary life is crazy!!!! Welcome to a sneak peek.....

Not too much else has happened. The mosquitos are eating my face off. I have to buy more repelant today. One that has like 600% DEET.

OH!!! Here is the addres to my apartment:
5401 Rampart st #349
Houston, TX 77081
Just send LETTERS here....I dont know it well enough to know if it is reliable with packages. I get mail every Friday from the office so send packaegs there....the Sugar Land one. SO no biggie.

Yes I am sweating my face off. Yes it is HOT!!! It is actually hotter in Houston cause we dont have the breeze of the ocean like in Galveston. Lame. I do miss Galveston. Lluvia(one of my favorite members) and Sandy(my investigator) totally got me the cutiest going away gifts. I guess there are pics on my facebook that she tagged me in.....I'm sure the ones where she silly stringed me are cute(NOT!) LOL!!! I seriously LOVE them!! the rest of my goodbyes last week weren't too terrible. My favorite Rivera Family took us out to dinner. I miss it a lot but I really am plannning to come back and visist them all again.

Well.....I feel like this email is boring. Sorry I dont have any cool/funny stories. I will try harder next week. I dont have Hermana Birds emails anymore to make you all laugh. I love you!!!! Have a fabulous week!!

Love, Hermana Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment