Friday, August 13, 2010

Rain Rain Go Away! (July 6, 2010 Email)

The computer is kicking me off early for some reason so I am just sending Hermana Birds email to you.....SORRY!!!! I am so sad!!

My week was good!! 4th of July fireworks rocked!! I have been soaking wet all weeek but its all good. We got huge effects from Hurricane Alex. So much rain!!!

Jess-thanks for the letter and jolly ranchers...LOVED IT

Dad---thanks for the gift card. I loved the pictures :)

Transfers are next week. I will let you all know next Tuesday if I am going....I think I am :( I will be crushed if I leave, seriously.

"""""""""Things are AMAZING here in Galveston. I cannot tell you how many things have started happening here! We have been teaching the husband (Jaime) and son (Miguel) of a less active member (Maria Fuentes) and now all of them are coming to church every week. Jaime will have to give up smoking and drinking and thus hasn't been too excited about the church and when he lost his job last week he is devoted to getting back into church things! Even though it's super sad, sometimes people need a little hardship to remember our Heavenly Father (Heleman 12). So now they are on the fast track to baptism...Miguel is a little more ready than Jaime but the gospel is really bringing them together....LOVE IT! We also have an amazing investigator Sandy who's best friend is an awesome member of the church and she is really progressing....just feels like she needs a stronger testimony...but we are on it! Well...the Lord is, haha.

We got DUMPED ON this week. Four days straight we had to come in and change because the rain water seaped through our rain coats...thank you hurricaine alex! But I feel like all the moisture is probably good for my skin...who knows...

Funny story::
So I(hermana bird) have gotten into the bad habit of drinking soda...I blame it on the hispanic culture...haha...but there is a woman (Maria) that we visit that collects cans and then trades them in for money...so really i'm just drinking soda for a good cause right? Well, the day soon came when Maria was going to trade in the cans so I was told to bring all my cans that I collected to our appointment...aka a HUGE white trash bag full to the brim! So I tie the huge bag to the back of my backpack and take off biking the 30 blocks to her appartment. The bag bangs against my bike and back the whole way making this tinkling sound...hermana is behind me laughing at me saying I look like a homeless person the entire way...passer-byers are staring and laughing...alltogether it was a huge scene...but don't you worry...the cans got to her all in one piece...and she was SUPER grateful....but it was so funny.....I feel like you have to be really secure in yourself to go around making a fool of yourself everyday...but all for a good cause!

So the 4th of July was AWESOME! We just went out talking to people who were getting ready for their barbaques or going to watch fireworks. Then when we came home around 9 we got to watch the fireworks out on the back porch. It was just sweet to just kinda watch them out across the swampy/lake thing in the back. It's not really a huge hispanic holiday...so no parties or anything but it was just kinda small and beautiful all in it's own special way. Just me and my compy(hermana Richards) ...

So that's Galveston! "Tansfers are next week...wierd..." says Hermana Richards who is faithfully sitting by my side....watching me so that I don't go look at my facebook...like everyone is doing around us...you would be surprised what people do on a LIBRARY, PUBLIC computer...wierd...some days I am just so thankful I am a missionary and stuck in my own little purity bubble."""""""""""""""""

LOVES!
Hermana Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment