Friday, August 13, 2010

"Ssssome Ice Tea??" (July 26, 2010 Email)

This day has been a complete charlie fox......We totally had a flat tire on our car this morning(I may or may not have ran over the curb last night)...I didnt think it did anything to the car. Well....we look in our car to put on the spare and of course we dont have all the tools. So we call the Elders and they come to help us put it on....well this one Elder insisted that he knew "a lot" about cars so he proceeded to try and fix it. As he is about to put the spare on the car, the jack falls over and the car falls to the ground. Lovely! Some nice liquidy stuff comes pouring out of the car and we are in shock......2 seconds later these 2 Hispanic men come walking over looking like our heros---they then help us get the car off the ground, we use their jack and we drive immediately to the tire place were we sat for forever to fix it. All the while sweating cause it is a million degrees outside....joy.

My week was good. It rains everyday here. Not sure why but it does. My umbrella is my BF.

I LOVE the pic Grandma sent me of Rick and the boys baptism. I put it next to my desk....I am slighty obsessed.

The new area is good. I get lost a lot. All we have is apartment complexes and they are all different so it is hard to know where you are. And they are not liek the ones at home. These are like a MAZE!

We have some awesome investigators.....3 of them are named Francisco so we call them (not to their face) Teddy Bear Francisco, Body Francisco and little francicso. They are all awesome!

This week we took a recent convert to one of our appointments. It started out great, we sat down and we were going to start but then our investigator got up and was like "let me get you something to drink" with his cute little mexican accent. So he's in the kitchen for a while and we were just talking (us and our recent convert) and next thing we know he comes walking, practically prancing into the room with two big glasses of brownish-orange drink, and says, handing the glasses to us "Sssome ice tea." Hna. taff immedeately look over at me and says "what do we say" as he walked out of the room to get another glass for the member... I don't know if you know, but in the hispanic culture, it's really rude not to accept anything that someone offers you, seriously. A number of ideas flashed thru my mind; accept it but just leave it on the table, take it but pour the contents into the plant sitting on the coffee table, or turn it down... My comp then looks at me with puppy dog eyes and I tell him that we dont drink ice tea. It was so awkward and we felt soooo terrible, but our member was there to smooth it out a little bit. I seriously wanted to die! It actually turned out ok though because we taught our lesson and the spirit was there, so we'll see :). You probably don't think that this story is very funny but I seriously can't tell you how much Hna. Taff and I laughed about it all week. When I get home I'll do the impression of it and we can all laugh together.

We laugh a lot. Random funny things like running over the curb, or me tripping up the stairs(always up never down), or really cute sweat marks in our clothes, or member lessons where the member is arguing with our investigator---basically yelling(ya never bringing her out EVER again). so ya...mission life never gets old.

Well I gotta run and go to Fiesta--the only grocery store in our area and it is basically a hispanic store. LOVES it! Have a fabulous week! I love you!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment